Suction Rolls use a lot of power. Coldwater service personnel can audit your suction roll energy consumption and make recommendations that can save tens of thousands of dollars in wasted power annually. Any suction roll experiencing short seal life or requiring more than 0.3 bar (5 psi) air tube pressure to maintain vacuum in the roll is a good candidate for the service, as the suction roll seal assembly can exert significant braking forces on the roll, as described in (Energy Savings for Suction Rolls). Regardless of the seal supplier, improper application and operation of the suction roll seal assembly can significantly impact power consumption, decrease seal life and shorten operating intervals.
Coldwater service personnel based in the United States and Sweden offer mill-wide contracts to inspect all suction rolls in all machines over a 1 to 2 year interval or single roll inspections as needed. Services are performed wherever the roll is disassembled, and generally consist of the following:
- A multi-plane bore profile of the shell inside diameter.
- Measurements of the suction box to establish the relationship between the seals and the center line of the roll.
- An inspection of air loading tubes and/or springs for proper size and operation.
- A calculation of the proper sizes of the seals and end deckles to match the shell and minimize horsepower consumption.
- Our recommendations will make most suction rolls operate with full vacuum at 5 psi, 0.3 bar, or less air loading tube pressure.
- Training of mill personnel in suction roll operation, maintenance, and problem solving is also available.
- Drive load savings in excess of 100 amps have been achieved on individual rolls.
- Operating intervals of two years and more are possible in well-maintained rolls.
Call Coldwater to schedule an on-site inspection of the shell, seals, deckles, and loading mechanisms, and engineering of optimum seal and deckles sizes to match your roll’s current condition.
CUSTOM FIT SEALS OFTEN SOLVE THE SAME ENERGY AND SEAL LIFE ISSUES THAT MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE OEM DESIGNS ATTEMPT TO SOLVE WITH LOCKING MECHANISMS OR SEAL SURFACE LUBRICATION.
Download our brochure: